Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Course: Main Course
Serve With: Grilled onions, bell peppers and horseradish sauce
Ingredients:Tri tip marinade (dry rub):
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
Now, in a Ziploc bag, place:
- 5 pounds of tri tip beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic-shallot puree
- Combine your tri tip dry rub ingredients, mixing well.
- In a Ziploc bag, mix tri tip beef with about olive oil and garlic-shallot puree. Add your dry rub mix and shake to combine. Let set for at least 1/2 hour, or place in the refrigerator overnight until you're ready to leave for your tailgate.
- For this bbq tri tip, grill over indirect heat until it's done, about 8-10 minutes on each side. Cooking tri tip can take around 30 minutes, depending on the temperature of your grill. For a smoky flavor, try adding some grape wood to your grill.
This recipe is great sliced and eaten on its own, or put into sandwich rolls topped with grilled onions, peppers and a horseradish sauce. You can make your own horseradish sauce by mixing some horseradish paste with sour cream or mayonnaise to your taste. Serve this tri tip with my grilled corn on the cob.
This will feed about 10 of your hungriest friends, and you can easily double this recipe to serve more.
Here are some tailgating tips I learned from the 2009 Rose Bowl game:
• Keep it simple
• Marinate your meat the day before.
• Arrive at the event 5 hours early to set up and get a spot.
• Use grape wood for the best flavor
• Use disposable containers
• Pack napkins and utensils the day before
• Bring lots of ice and bottled water
• Make a check list of cooking items