Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour freezing time
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Cuisine: Irish American
Serve With: Fresh raspberries and whipped cream
Ingredients:1 cup of whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
4 egg yolks
8 ounces of milk chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
6 ounces Guinness Stout
Directions:1. Heat milk. Add sugar and pinch of salt. Warm over medium-low heat. Make sure sugar is dissolved.
2. Separate four egg yolks, and discard the whites or save them for an omelet. Whisk eggs, then add the warmed milk. Whisk well, then pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
3. Stir constantly with a heatproof spatula over medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken.
4. Place chocolate chips in a large bowl. Cover with a strainer, and strain in the milk and egg mixture. Stir well until chocolate melts. Add heavy cream, vanilla extract, and Guinness Stout.
5. Chill mixture over an ice bath, or place in fridge for about 4 hours.
6. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions. Place in the freezer another hour to firm up.
7. Serve with fresh raspberries and whipped cream, or alone. Enjoy!
Chef Jason's Notes:
This homemade ice cream is perfect for an adult party or St. Patrick's Day celebration. Like many ice cream recipes, it starts with a custard base with the addition of a small amount of Guinness beer. We used the Cuisinart ice cream attachment for this ice cream recipe, but you can also use a standard ice cream machine.